Brunch in the summer is one of our favorite things about this time of year. Nothing beats sipping a refreshing mimosa on a patio and enjoying some sunny weather. This week we've got a few fun factoids for you about brunch to get you in the mood for weekend plans.
1. The term "brunch" was coined in 1895, described as a Sunday meal for "Saturday-night carousers".
2. Brunch became popular in the US in the 1930s because Hollywood stars making transcontinental train trips would often stop in Chicago for late-morning meals. Stars like Johny Barrymore, Helen Hayes, and Clark Gable often stopped for brunch at Chicago's Pump Room in the Ambassador Hotel.
3. Pancakes might be one of the oldest brunch classics in human history. Their origins can be traced all the way back to the Ancient Greeks. We think pancakes are lovely for any time of day — breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
4. The origin of avocado toast is still unknown, but according to The Washington Post, chef Bill Granger of Sydney, Australia may have been the first person to put avocado toast on his café menu in 1993. Despite claims from smug millionaires about giving up avocado toast to save up for a down payment on a house, you'd have to skip at least 4,900 avocado toasts for that to work out.
5. Brunch goes with drinking culture like peanut butter goes with jelly. Not only did brunch popularize day drinking, but it's also the genesis of several popular daytime cocktails, including the Mimosa and Bloody Mary. It is actually attributed with spreading the practice of mixing alcohol with juices. In the early to mid-1900s brunch offered a platform for socially acceptable day drinking.
Need a new tee or tank for your summer brunch outings? You can shop our selection of brunch tees and tanks here.
That's it until next week! Hit us up in the comments or on social media with your favorite brunch foods, and if you're interested in maybe getting one of our sweet tees or tanks for free, pop on over to this blog post and enter to win one in this week's giveaway contest!
There are 10 ways to enter, all of them are pretty easy, and the more entries you accumulate the better your chance of winning! Good luck! Until next week,
Peace, love, and waffles,