Welcome to our weekly Boredwalk Community series, where we ask Boredwalk fans fun questions! This week we're talking to Kate F. of Herndon VA, showing off a My Head Says Homework My Heart Says Cat Videos shirt.
1. What's your actual day job and what's your dream day job?
I'm a school library assistant and substitute teacher. My dream job is to be a cat petter/book reader. (Ed. note: I also aspire to read books and pet cats professionally!)
2. What's your biggest pet peeve?
Hearing people chew! It fills me with fiery rage. (Second place: other people rearranging my books! I have them in a specific order. Put them back where you found them, or let me do it.)
3. What's a book that you think the Boredwalk community should read?
A book everyone should read is Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman. It's super short, but thought-provoking. It's about what Einstein might have dreamed about while he worked at the Swiss patent office. That might sound esoteric and incomprehensible, but it's actually a fun read. (I'm sold!)
4. What's the most useful piece of advice you've received?
Probably my Mom's line from childhood. Any time my sisters or I would complain, she'd say, "life is hard and full of misery." I know that sounds rough, but the message is good — sometimes life sucks, but you have to deal with it. (A related, but happier piece of advice from my Mom: "this, too, shall pass." When life is hard, just keep moving. It will get better eventually.)
5. What experience do you most want to cross off your bucket list?
I want to see the northern lights!
6. Clear up a misconception (about your job, where you are from, some other topic you know a lot about).
Librarians don't just shush patrons and shelve books. Libraries are filled with amazing resources for everyone, and our calling is to make those resources accessible to everyone. A misconception about me personally is that I'm a crazy cat lady. Wait! That's not a misconception. Never mind.
7. Where can the rest of the Boredwalk community find you?
Kate felt it very important to add the following personal details to this, and I am inclined to agree:
- Favorite dinosaur: Stegosaurus
- Favorite colors: Pink & purple
- She has more books than friends (I see no problem here, Kate.)