Welcome to our weekly Boredwalk Community series, where we ask Boredwalk fans fun questions! This week we're talking to Dara P. of Oceanside CA, showing off a Someday We'll All Be Dead Shirt.
1. What's your actual day job and what's your dream day job?
My actual day job is being an English professor. My dream day job is to swim with whales in the wild (not animal jail) for money.
2. What keeps you up at night?
3. What's your biggest pet peeve?
People who put their socks and shoes on like this: sock/shoe, sock/shoe. It’s obviously supposed to be sock/sock, shoe/shoe. (Ed. note: You are correct. The sock/shoe people are holding us back as a society. These are probably the same people who replace toilet paper rolls with the roll facing the wrong way IN DIRECT OPPOSITION TO THE ORIGINAL PATENT ILLUSTRATIONS. Philistines!)
4. What's a book you think the Boredwalk community should read?
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. In my opinion, it is the most important dystopic novel ever written. But dang it! Can I have two? Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer. (You may.)
5. What's the most useful piece of advice you've ever received?
"Academia is one of the last safe places for people like you."
6. Clear up a misconception (about your job, where you are from, some other topic you know a lot about.)
I’m from New York. Not all parts of New York are cool. The part I’m from is not cool.
7. Where can the rest of the Boredwalk community find you?
Walking about Oceanside, CA. Or on Instagram @ProfessorDara