A LITTLE CATASTROPHIC CARDIO, NATURALLY
It's a good thing we're getting a little cardio in this morning, as today is National Sugar Cookie Day! I don't know about you, but I feel like the sugar cookie doesn't get the love it deserves.
That said, I think that's largely due to the fact that they're so often over-baked and come out of the oven way too crisp and crunchy. I know Paul and Pru on Great British Bakeoff love a classic "biscuit" snap with their cookies, but I'm a sensitive artist through and through, and that sensitivity extends to my cookie texture preferences. Be a little chewy, or be gone!
This guy doesn't seem to have the same exacting standards I do, though:
Pretty sure Cookie Monster would eat cardboard sprinkled with rock salt and ACTUAL sugar cookies with equal gusto.
Anyway, hopefully you appreciate our little catastrophizing kitten as much as I do! If not, there's always this week's new podcast episode to listen to. Before we get to that, though, let's celebrate some notable birthdays with a round of cookies
• Happy birthday to inventor Elias Howe, born this day in 1819! Mr. Howe was best known for his invention of the modern lockstitch sewing machine in 1846. Pretty cool that his birthday happens to coincide with National Fashion Day — also today!
• Happy birthday to actor Jimmy Smits, born this day in 1955! Sure, Mr. Smits may have gone on to bigger and better roles on shows like L.A. Law, NYPD Blue, The West Wing, and Dexter, but to Baby Matt he'll always be "that guy who got obliterated by a car bomb in the first five minutes of Miami Vice."
• A very pleasant birthday to The Nicest Guy in Hollywood™, Tom Hanks, born this day in 1956! Mr. Hanks is a two-time Academy Award winner and seven-time Emmy award winner, as well as a Presidential Medal of Freedom recipient. Not bad for a bosom buddy!
• Today is also the birthday of musicians Courtney Love (1964) and Jack White (1975)! I hope they have a rockin' good time full of sugar cookie comas.
Alright! Podcast time! This week we:
• Indulge in some grievance-airing regarding trolls on the internet!
• Read some customer reviews — perhaps yours!
• Read some truly funny and creative replies to recent Questions of the Day "what's the most TMI thing someone has told you at work?" and "describe your favorite fairytale badly." It's true that the second statement is more of an imperative than an interrogative one, but it yielded some hilarious responses nonetheless!
Looking to save this weekend? Take 10% off orders of $75 or more when you use the code SUMMER10 at checkout. Yay!
Alright! We'll be back here in your inbox next week with a fresh Boredwalk Community Q&A with a fan just like you! We'll also have another new podcast episode to share, and maybe a new design! Until then...
Peace, love, and cookies,