IF REALITY ISN'T GONNA IMPROVE WHY SHOULD I?
Happy Ditch New Years Resolutions Day! If you've sworn off sweets, swearing, or some other mundane thing that brings you joy, today invites you to throw in the towel.
I never make new year resolutions. Why promise something I don't mean? I know darn well I'm not going to quit coffee, pastries, or working the F-word into every other sentence — why lie or otherwise set myself up for certain failure? It's not that I can't resolve to do things, I just don't need a special occasion to commit to something. For example, just now I committed to this bottle of wine and it's no special occasion, just an ordinary Sunday. Be impressed!
This is what commitment looks like.
OK, birthday time! Let's have some cake in honor of:
• Songstresses: Catwoman Eartha Kitt and Susanna Hoffs, co-founder of 80s pop group the Bangles (hope her Monday isn't too manic)
• Athletes: NBA star Dwayne Wade and boxer/activist Muhammad Ali
• Stars of the Big + Small Screen: James Earl Jones, Zooey Deschanel, and Betty White (RIP) — hope her afterlife is...rosy (see what I did there?)
• American History Figures: Benjamin Franklin and Michelle Obama
Also a civil rights fist bump for Martin Luther King, Jr. His birthday was on Saturday and today is MLK, Jr. Day!
Alrighty! Scroll on down to learn more about fellow Boredwalk fan Casey F.! If you'd like to be featured in our Monday Q&A segment, reply to this email and let me know!
We'll be back in your inbox on Wednesday morning with links to fun distractions! If you're in a shopping mood, be sure to use the code YAY10 at checkout to save 10% on orders of $100 or more! Until next time...
Peace, love, and yielding to temptation,
Casey decided to frame her Hell Goddess towels, and we are here for it!
1. What's your actual day job and what's your dream day job?
I own my own bookstore, so I’m lucky enough that my day job and dream job are one and the same.
2. What's your biggest pet peeve?
People who say audiobooks aren’t real books. Besides being a petty bit of gatekeeping that excludes people who only get to read while commuting or folding the laundry, etc., it’s ableist AF.
3. What's a book you think the Boredwalk community should read?
The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. It has it all — a sentient blob, an adorable wyvern, ice cream, queer romance, and the Antichrist. It’s genuinely like a magical hug in book form.
4. If you could have any super power what would it be and why?
The ability to teleport! Challenges from the global pandemic aside, there’s so much of the world to see but much of it takes so long to get to. If I could just pop to New Zealand in a second, that would be amazing. Also handy for when I forget my phone at home.
5. You can curse your nemesis with a minor annoyance for eternity; what do you choose?
They are compelled to talk in the third person to introduce themselves to new people.
6. What experience do you most want to cross off your bucket list?
I’d really love to live in Scotland for a year. I miss visiting Edinburgh and want to see more of the country.
7. If you drink: what's your go-to drink? If you don't drink: what's your go-to dessert or snack?
I love macarons. I can’t get enough of those little sandwiches of joy. Bouchon Bakery’s are the best. And I’m lucky enough to have Sugar Blossom Cake Shop around the corner from the bookshop that does amazing themed and seasonal flavored macarons.
8. Where can the rest of the Boredwalk community find you?