JUST ADD CHLOROPHYLL!
Happy National Houseplant Appreciation Day! Given my own lack of outdoor space at home (and the presence of a plant-murdering feline familiar inside the house), today is more about officeplant appreciation for me, but the end result is the same: thank goodness for our plant pals!
They provide a pop of earthy color in our home (or office) decor schemes, absorb carbon dioxide and produce oxygen, and dispose of the occasional uninvited interloper.
Audrey II just gets me.
OK, birthday time! Let's have some cake in honor of:
• Singer, songwriter, and record producer Rod Stewart, born this day in 1945! Mr. Stewart has sold over 250 million records worldwide over the course of his career, both as a solo artist and as a member of The Jeff Beck Group and The Faces. Key tracks: 'Stay With Me,' 'Love Lives Here,' 'Tell Everyone,' 'Maggie May,' 'Tonight's The Night,' and 'The Killing of Georgie (Part I & II)'
• Singer, songwriter, and keyboardist Donald Fagen, born this day in 1948! Along with his guitar-playing college pal Walter Becker, Mr. Fagen was the co-founder of the band Steely Dan, whose jazzy rock sound was critically and commercially successful throughout the 1970s and led to Fagen's successful solo career in the 1980s. Key tracks: 'Ruby Baby,' 'Reelin' Back The Years,' 'Do It Again,' 'Dirty Work,' 'Show Biz Kids,' 'Any Major Dude Will Tell You,' and 'Peg'
• Boxer and indoor grilling impresario George Foreman, born this day in 1949! Mr. Foreman is an Olympic gold medalist and two-time world heavyweight boxing champion, and his post-boxing career foray into home cookery resulted in the wildly successful George Foreman Lean Mean Fat-Reducing Grilling Machine (aka George Foreman Grill), over 100 million units of which have been sold since its introduction in 1994.
• Singer and songwriter Patricia Mae "Pat Benatar" Andrzejewski, born this day in 1953! Ms Benatar is a four-time Grammy Award winner and has released 15 Billboard Top 40 singles, five platinum albums, and two multi-platinum albums over the course of her career. Key tracks: 'Love Is A Battlefield,' 'Hit Me With Your Best Shot,' 'Heartbreaker,' and 'Fire and Ice'
• Zew Zealand-born actor, comedian, and musician Jemaine Atea Mahana Clement, born this day in 1974! Mr. Clement is one-half of the comedy musical duo Flight of the Conchords, as well as an actor and director in his own right, having appeared in the films Dinner For Schmucks, Men In Black 3, and What We Do In The Shadows, among others.
Alrighty! Scroll on down to learn more about fellow Boredwalk fan Heather F.! If you'd like to be featured in our Monday Q&A segment, reply to this email and let me know!
We'll be back in your inbox on Wednesday morning with links to fun distractions! If you're in a shopping mood, be sure to use the code YAY10 at checkout to save 10% on orders of $100 or more! Until next time...
Peace, love, and plants,
Heather looking like she has some plant-murdering housemates of her own in her Catnip Freakout tee!
1. What's your actual day job and what's your dream day job?
I'm a stay-at-home-mom, but I'm also an artist. So probably doing art all day.
2. What's your biggest pet peeve?
When people don't flush in a public restroom...ewww.
(Editor's note: Yeah, that's super-gross. Clean up your act, people!)
3. What's the most useful piece of advice you've ever received?
I'm still waiting.
4. If you could have any super power what would it be and why?
My kids ask me this all the time and they hate my response, they think it's so boring, but it would be the power to heal myself and others.
5. You can curse your nemesis with a minor annoyance for eternity; what do you choose?
Constant paper cuts or those hangnails that tear too deep.
6. What experience do you most want to cross off your bucket list?
Visit Japan. I'm half-Japanese, and I really want to go experience my heritage and maybe find some relatives.
7. If you drink: what's your go-to drink? If you don't drink: what's your go-to dessert or snack?
Coffee, lots and lots and lots of coffee.
8. What is a surprising fact about you?
It's not really about me, but my Dad and his family were in the Japanese internment camps during WWII.
9. Where can the rest of the Boredwalk community find you?