MOSTLY TAKING MY CUES FROM RACCOONS
May already isn't trying, so why should we? Case in point, today's lesser holidays include National Life Insurance Day (yawn) and National Truffle Day, an unremarkable sweet treat if you ask me.
Today is also Take A Baby To Lunch Day, but I'd caution against that suggestion. Babies just don't make great lunch companions. For starters, their conversational skills are quite limited, but they will insist on yelling "hi" at random passersby, suggesting babies think there's a better lunch date to be had. Kind of rude.
Second, babies haven't had time to develop a refined palate. So while you're savoring a spicy curry or some well-plated sushi, junior will probably be squawking his way through a ziplock of Cheerios he brought from home. No offense, kiddo, but see ya for lunch in a decade or two.
It's also Be Kind to Animals Week, but shouldn't that be every week? I think so.
If you do take a baby to lunch, be prepared for a lot of whatever this is.
Want a few May 2nd famous birthdays and historical facts?
• Born on this day: Russian Empress Catherine the Great (1729), actor/wrestler Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson (1972), British soccer — ahem, "football" — star David Beckham (1975), fashion designer/socialite Donatella Versace (1955), and singer/songwriter Lily Allen (1985).
• It was on this day in 2000 that GPS was made available for public use, saving us all from vehicles cluttered with MapQuest printouts.
• It was also on this day in 1930 that, brimming with misplaced optimism, US President Herbert Hoover claimed that the stock market crash that occurred six months earlier was a temporary setback that would soon pass. The Great Depression would continue to worsen over the next five years. I guess temporary is relative?
Alrighty! Scroll on down to learn about fellow Boredwalk fan Casey F.! If you'd like to be featured in our Monday Q&A segment, reply to this email and let us know! (Especially since we don't have one for next week yet.)
We'll be back in your inbox on Wednesday morning with links to fun distractions! If you're in a shopping mood, be sure to use the code YAY10 at checkout to save 10% on orders of $100 or more! Until next time...
Peace, love, and baby-free lunches,
Casey looking plenty formidable in her limited edition Pretty Formidable hoodie! Normally these photos link to product pages for the items featured in them, but our super-secret VIP collection page only appears Friday through Sunday, like a slightly more accessible Brigadoon. Don't miss the next one later this week!
1. What's your actual day job and what's your dream day job?
I am a middle school teacher. Which believe it or not, I find pretty dreamy. But, if we're talking real "dream job" I'd say a combination of poet/horse trainer/stay at home dog mom.
2. What's your biggest pet peeve?
According to my husband, it's stupid people. He's probably right. And definitely not stupid.
3. What's a life pro tip the Boredwalk community should know about?
Paying the toll for the person behind you is a great, simple way to make someone's day.
4. If you could have any super power, what would it be and why?
Mind reading or teleportation.
5. You can curse your nemesis with a minor annoyance for eternity; what do you choose?
The constant feeling that they have a booger and can't pick it.
6. What experience do you most want to cross off your bucket list?
I would really like to finally self-publish a book of my poetry. I've been talking about doing it for years.
7. If you drink: what's your go-to drink? If you don't drink: what's your go-to dessert or snack?
Chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate. I make a delicious mocha pot de creme that might be my all-time favorite dessert.
8. Where can the rest of the Boredwalk community find you?
I post a ton of pictures of my adorable rescue dogs, baked goods, and my perennial gardens on Instagram @justcasey09.